NHM Ministrants has embarked on a project to offer a set of Bible quotes and discussions for various key topics. And, on this page, you will find quotes from international Bibles and non-canonical writings.
Quotes from International Bibles
Because our Bible arrives to us in translation (it was not originally in English) it can sometimes be enlightening, or at least interesting, to consider other translations. Here are a few favorites:
- In a Chinese version of the Gospel of John, The Word is translated as The Tao, so the Gospel starts out as “In the beginning was the Tao. The Tao is with God. The Tao is God” [Leong, Kenneth. The Zen teachings of Jesus. New York: Crossroad. 1995. 28.]
- In a French version of The Gospel of Matthew, “Blessed are the Meek,” is translated as Blessed are the Debonair.
Quotes from the Non-Canonical Writings
The discovery of a library at Nag Hammadi in 1945 stirred up controversy; people questioned why the writings were not included in the Bible, not realizing that the Gnostics held some very unfortunate beliefs. Gnostics thought that an evil god had captured them – little bits of light – in the evil illusion of physical bodies, and they also believed that not everyone had the divine spark… just the fortunate few. Although it is impossible to know with certainty whether the statements attributed to Jesus or Jesus’ followers were the invention of the Gnostics or were actually said, some would not have been in conflict with Jesus’ deeper truths. Here are some quotes that are worth considering, as they somewhat echo the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, or from the teachings in Acts or the writings of Paul:
- Woe to you who allow the body to rule over you. Putting your trust in the world, the world has become your god. You are destroying your souls with the desires that burn within you.” — The Book of Thomas the Contender
- How does one begin to walk the Way?” Jesus answered, “By developing love and compassion.” — The Dialog of The Savior
- How fortunate is the wise seeker after truth, for when found nobody can disturb that peace” — The Book of Thomas the Contender
- The Kingdom is within you and whoever knows oneself will find it. All those who find the Kingdom will know that they are heirs of the Father, Know that you are in God and God is in you. — Papyrus Oxyrhynchus
- Strive to save those things that can follow you. Seek it, and speak from within it, so that everything you seek is in harmony within you. For I tell you truly, the living God dwells within you, and you in Him. —Dialogue of the Savior
- The son of Man is within you. Follow him -The Gospel of Mary
- I am a beacon to those who see Me. I am a mirror to those who look at Me. I am a door to those who knock on Me. I am a Way to you the traveler. — The Hymn of Jesus from the Acts of John