Friend /frend/ – Noun: One who shares a connection of affection, regard, support or trust.
The difference between a friend and a friendly acquaintance is that a friend is someone whose connection is stronger. You can rely on a friend in a way you would not rely on an acquaintance. While the electronic age has accustomed us to using the word friend quite loosly – some folks bost hundreds of “friends” on their personal pages – we can count ourselves lucky if we go through life with a few close friends beside us. A friend is one with whom you feel a connection of some kind, and a close friend is one in whom you can place your trust. See related posts on discernment, wisdom, and solidarity, for more helpful hints on choosing and keeping friends.
Select Bible Verses on Friendship
- He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. – Proverb 13:20
- He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. – Proverb 17:9
- A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. – Proverb 17:17
- A person, to have friends must shew his/herself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. -Proverb 18:24
- Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warmalone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. – Eccl 4:9-12
- Greater love hath no one than this, that a person lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13
International Friendship Day
International Friendship Day celebates friendship. Although it was dreamed up by the greeting card industry, it has now spread. It can be helpful to those experiencing isolation, when church leaders take it seriously and plan events around fostering friendship and community. The United Nations recognized the holiday in 2011, and it has settled as The First Sunday of August.
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature on this website, offered (where applicable) in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.