The Muslim prayer emphasizes God as the only healer, sustainer, and submission to God, serving as God’s instrument under God’s will and mercy. It stresses service to one and all, to the rich and poor, friend and foe alike, protecting and honoring it regardless of race or religion or color, and the holding of all human life as precious and sacred at all times under all circumstances, doing utmost to alleviate pain and misery and to provide comfort and counsel in sickness and in anxiety. To respect the confidence and guard the secrets. To pursue knowledge and uphold honor and dignity. To acquire the courage to admit mistakes, mend ways, forgive wrongs.
The Muslim Physician’s Pledge
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Praise be to Allah, the Sustainer of His Creation, the All-knowing.
Glory be to Him, the Eternal, the All-Pervading.
O Allah, Thou art the only Healer,
I serve none but Thee, and, as the instrument of
Thy Will, I commit myself to Thee.
I render this Oath in Thy Holy Name and I undertake:
- To be the instrument of Thy Will and Mercy, and, in all humbleness, to exercise justice, love and compassion for all Thy Creation;
- To extend my hand of service to one and all, to the rich and to the poor, to friend and foe alike, regardless of race, religion or colour;
- To hold human life as precious and sacred, and to protect and honour it at all times and under all circumstances in accordance with Thy Law;
- To do my utmost to alleviate pain and misery, and to comfort and counsel human beings in sickness and in anxiety; To respect the confidence and guard the secrets of all my patients;
- To maintain the dignity of health care, and to honour the teachers, students, and members of my profession;
- To strive in the pursuit of knowledge in Thy name for the benefit of mankind, and to uphold human honour and dignity;
- To acquire the courage to admit my mistakes, mend my ways and to forgive the wrongs of others;
- To be ever-conscious of my duty to Allah and His Messenger and to follow the precepts in private and in public.
- O Allah grant me the strength, patience and dedication to adhere to this Oath at all times.