School’s In – Let’s Talk About God’s Abundance
LISTEN ALONG – Loaves & Fishes (Matthew 14:13-21 )
Ready for a story? This one is in all four gospels, and it even has fishes! Jesus and his disciples were in a solitary place, but crowds followed them. He had healed and taught until late into the evening. The disciples wanted to send the crowds away so they could get themselves some food. What did Jesus do? What would you have done? Send them away? It makes sense… but that’s not what he did. He told the disciples to feed the people. Feeding the people could have taken a lot of money to do, maybe half a year’s wages. The disciples had only five loaves of bread and two knishes … well, we know he said fishes, but … hmm… Jesus took the bread and broke it, thanking God, and gave the food to share with the crowd. They ate, and all were satisfied. They gathered up what was left, and it filled twelve baskets. In all, about five thousand men, besides women and children had been fed.
SING ALONG – Loaves & Fishes Song
Loaves and fishes, loaves and fishes,
Jesus answered all their wishes.
Five thousand men plus women and kids,
Ate that supper – yes they did.
Five loaves, two fishes that makes seven.
Twelve baskets left over from the meal from heaven.
[free sheet music online ]
- Review: We Always Review our “Golden Rule Rhyme.” Say together (substitute ‘Sunday school’ for something else such as ‘bible school’ where needed):
“As we gather in Sunday school, we will follow the Golden Rule.
To each other be kind and true , as we want to be treated too!”
- Consider: Why do you think people sometimes call sharing a meal together “breaking bread” ?
- Feelings: How does that story make you feel?
- Bible Savvy: Check out the different Gospel stories of Jesus feeding the thousands. How are each of them different? (Matthew 14:13-21 / Mark 6:30-44 / Luke 9:10-17 / John 6:5-14). It looks as if God’s abundance happened more than once. How does Jesus feed us, even today? What did Jesus ask from his followers? What does this mean for us, today?
- Role play [Materials: fish-shaped crackers, bread, and juice] Share some fish-shaped crackers, bread, and juice as a class. What does it feel like, to share this food together?
This educational page is for private non-commercial personal use or for non-profit, educational use within a Christian organization/ministry – only. Copyright © 2017 Elfenworks Productions, LLC. All rights reserved. For questions or commercial licensing, contact us.