Are you an open/welcoming /affirming minister or elder, who is looking to find like-minded peers? Or, are you interested in what your denomination may be doing, in this area? The links below may be of assistance. They may also be useful for people who are seeking a safe place to worship in peace. Whatever your denomination, if you are welcoming/affirming, you may wish to contact the appropriate group(s) above to ensure you are listed.
- ANGLICAN/EPISCOPAL – Resources and membership, online at affirmingcatholicism.org.
- BAPTIST – Resources and membership, Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists. See also, Alliance of Baptists.
- CATHOLIC – Resources and chapter listings, dignityUSA.org. See also New Ways Ministries and Catholics for Marriage Equality.
- EPISCOPAL – Resources and chapters, IntegrityUSA.org.
- LUTHERANS – see Reconciling Works, Lutherans for Full Participation.
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY CHURCH – the denomination is open and affirming.
- MENNONITE – the Brethren Mennonite Council for LGBT Interests.
- PENTECOSTAL/EVANGELICAL – there are a number of affirming Pentecostal and Evangelical websites including Affirming Pentecostals, Apostolic Restoration Mission, The Evangelical Network, and Evangelicals Concerned.
- PRESBYTERIANS – More Light Presbyterians.
- REFORMED CHURCH OF AMERICA –Room For All.
- UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST – all affiliated churches; long a leader in affirming women and clergy of color, has adopted an “open and affirming” welcoming position.
- UNITED METHODIST CHURCH – Over 500 UMC communities participate in the Reconciling Ministries Network.
- UNITY – Unity Fellowship Network.
- NOT LISTED ABOVE? Gaychurch.org, an online directory resource, includes a broad and international list of welcoming churches in many denominations. See also, welcomingcommunitynetwork.com, and welcomingresources.org and the Fellowship of Affirming Ministries. Californians, see also California Faith for Equality.
OTHER LINKS & CREATIVE WAYS TO BE SUPPORTIVE
- BelieveOutLoud.com – offers tools and campaign materials.
- ItGetsBetter.org – to provide hope for teens bullied for all reasons.
- Not All Like That Christian Project – You can post your own supportive video.
- Rainbow Bracelet – Wearing a Rainbow Bracelet signals “I am Safe, I Am Supportive.”
- Religioustolerance.org – There are some very good analyses of “clobber texts,” (Leviticus 18:22 & Deuteronomy 25:11-12),
and other helpful resources.
- SoulForce.org – stopping stigma with nonviolent resistance.
- GeorgeTakei.com of Star Trek fame. if you find yourself banned from saying the word “gay,” Takei offers his name as a substitute watch video.
We welcome your friendly input for more listings, as we work to make this page an ever more robust resource.