Light /līt/ – Noun: A form of energy known as electromagnetic radiation; the quality of illumination that shines in contrast to darkness.
A friend is one on whom you can rely, and a close friend is one in whom you can trust. While the electronic age has accustomed us to using the word friend quite loosly – some folks bost hundreds of “friends” on their personal pages – we can count ourselves lucky if we go through life with a few close friends beside us. Even when we experience moments of isolation, it’s good to remember that we always have a friend in Jesus, who tells us “lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age.” See our related WebDefs, such as that on solidarity.
Top 20 Bible Verses on Light
- In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. – Genesis 1:1-5
- And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. – Genesis 1:14-18
- The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. – Isaiah 9:2
- Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward. – Isaiah 58:8
- The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory. – Isaiah 60:19
- The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? – Psalm 27
- For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light. – Psalm 36:9
- The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up. – Matthew 4:16
- Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.– Matthew 5:14-16
- And Jesus was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. – Matthew 17:2
- Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him… Matthew 25
- No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light. The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light. – Luke 11:33-36
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. – John 1:1-5
- Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: those that follow me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. – John 8:12
- Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. – John 12:35
- For ye were sometimes darkness, but now [are ye] light in the Lord: walk as children of light… And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them…. Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. – Ephesians 5:8, 11, 14
- Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. – 1 Thess. 5:5
- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. – James 1:17
- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. – 1 John 7
- And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. – Revelation 21:23
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered (where applicable) in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.