Joy /dʒɔɪ/ –Noun: A deep feeling of exuberance. An inner attitude of rejoicing that is experienced more deeply than happiness and can abide even in the presence of difficult emotions or circumstances.
Joy, or an inner attitude of rejoicing, is experienced more deeply than happiness. Unlike happiness, Joy is not an emotion tied to our current, personal state of being. Joy can surprise and delight even in moments of personal adversity or great loss. See our entry on Jesus’ Beatitudes for more.
Select Key Bible Verses on Joy
- I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh [himself] with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth [herself] with her jewels. – Isaiah 61:10
- A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken. – Prov 15:13
- And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. – Luke 1:46-48
- And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. – Luke 2:10
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.- Galatians 5:22-23
- Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. – Philippians 4:4-5
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.