Strife /strīf/ – Noun: Angry, painful disagreement; bitter conflict.
Few of us enjoy strife, yet so often our own actions can play a part in disturbing the very harmony we profess to seek. The following biblical passages discuss strife, and provide guidance about how to live a more tranquil, peaceful, harmonious life.
Select Bible Passages on Strife
- A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends. – Proverbs 16:28
- Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins. – Proverbs 10:12
- One that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but one that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. – Proverbs 17:9
- The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with. – Proverbs 17:14
- He loveth transgression that loveth strife: and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction. – Proverbs 17:19
- As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife. – Proverbs 26:21
- An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression. – Proverbs 29:22
- Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of
wrath bringeth forth strife. – Prov 30:33
- For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?? – 1 Corinthians 3:3
- Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all. – Romans 12:16-18
- But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. – Galatians 5:15
- Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. – Galatians 5:26
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.