Peace /piːs/ – Noun: Quiet goodness and tranquility; calm, harmonious balance, free from danger and from iniquity.
Non·vi·o·lence / nänˈvīələns/ – Noun: The favoring of peaceful means of advancing one’s objectives.
Peace·mak·er /pēsˌmākər/- Noun: A person who works towards reconciliation, restoration, and harmony.
Sec·ur·i·ty /siˈkyo͝oritē/ – Noun: State of being free from danger.
Sha·lom /Shäˈlōm/ שלומ – Noun: A wholesome completeness, soundness. God’s peace.
Jesus addressed his followers, simply, with the salutation “peace.” He called the peacemakers blessed, and God’s own children. And his call to us is to work for a more just and peaceful world. See our Take Action Page on peacemaking and fostering nonviolence, for more on getting involved.
The Hebrew word Shalom – God’s peace – is commonly used as a friendly salutation or sending blessing. It has a deeper meaning: a fullness of peace that is grounded in justice. And, as one of the Divine names, it might be considered inappropriate to use as a greeting in certain situations where pronouncing the Divine name would be forbidden.
The following is a discussion on biblical references to God’s Peace and Peacemaking, a topic of supreme interest to followers of Jesus, The Prince of Peace. A quick search of an online Bible for the word “peace” will yield hundreds of results, so we have included only a few beloved favorites, separated into subtopics. Unless otherwise noted, the King James Version is used when quoting the Bible.
- Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD. [Leviticus 19:18]
- Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matt 5:9 click here for discussion on the Beatitudes]
- Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: [Hebrews 12:14]
- See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. [1 Thess. 5:15]
- Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. [1 Peter 3:8-11]
- Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. [Psalm 34:14 KJV]
- When a man’s ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. [Proverbs 16:17]
- And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places. [Proverbs 32:17-18]
- [Jesus said:] Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another. [Mark 9:50]
GOD AS SOURCE OF PEACE
- That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the Lord have created it. [Isaiah 45:6-8]
- Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the Lord for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off. [Isaiah 55:6-13]
- For thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon her sides, and be dandled upon her knees. [Isaiah 66:12]
- The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace. [Psalm 29:11]
- Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other. [Psalm 85:10]
- Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee. [Psalm 122:6]
- Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem; praise thy God, O Zion. For he hath strengthened the bars of thy gates; he hath blessed thy children within thee. He maketh peace in thy borders, and filleth thee with the finest of the wheat. [Psalm 147:12-14]
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. [Gal 5:22-23]
- For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. [1 Cor. 14:33]
- Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. [Luke 2:14]
- I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety. [Psalm 4:8]
- But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. [Psalm 37:11]
- Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace. [Psalm 37:37]
- Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them. [Psalm 119:165]
- Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. [Isaiah 26:3]
- Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counsellors of peace is joy. [Proverbs 12:20]
- But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: [Romans 2:10]
- Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. [Romans 12:17-18]
- With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; [Eph 4:2-4]
- Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. [Phil. 4:6-9]
- And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. [Colossians 3:15]
JESUS, PRINCE OF PEACE
- [Jesus said] Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. [John 14:27]
- [ Jesus said] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. [John 16:33]
- Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you…. And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. [John 20:21 & 26]
- For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. [Isaiah 9:6]
- Jesus arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. [Mark 4:39]
- And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house. And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again. [Luke 10:5-6]
- John [the Baptist]’s father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, “Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; The oath which he sware to our father Abraham, that he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life. And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways; To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. [Luke 1:67-79]
- The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:) [Acts 10:36]
- To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. [Romans 1:7]
- Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: [Romans 5:1]
LACK OF PEACE
- And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity. [Lamentations 3:17]
- Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith. [Proverbs 15:17]
- The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with. [Proverbs 17:14]
- Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. [Luke 12:51-52] – [note: when Jesus’ presence enters a family structure, it can be disruptive and not always a peaceful process].
- And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword. [Revelation 6:4]
- From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. [James 4:1-2]
WISDOM AND PEACE
- But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace. [James 3:17-18]
- Happy is the person that findeth wisdom, and that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. [Proverbs 3:13-18]
- He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace. [Proverbs 11:12]
LEADERS AND PEACE
- Give the king thy judgments, O God, and thy righteousness unto the king’s son. 2 He shall judge thy people with righteousness, and thy poor with judgment. 3 The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness. 4 He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor. 5 They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, throughout all generations. 6 He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth.7 In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth. [Psalm 72:1-7]
- How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! [Isaiah 52:7]
- And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! [Romans 10:15]
WICKEDNESS VS PEACE
- In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me.2 Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue. 3 What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue? 4 Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper. 5 Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!6 My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.7 I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war. [Psalm 120]
- Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts. [Psalm 28:3]
- For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land. [Psalm 35:20]
- Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go. O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea: Thy seed also had been as the sand, and the offspring of thy bowels like the gravel thereof; his name should not have been cut off nor destroyed from before me. Go ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth; say ye, The Lord hath redeemed his servant Jacob. And they thirsted not when he led them through the deserts: he caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them: he clave the rock also, and the waters gushed out. [Isaiah 48:17-22]
- O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea: [Isaiah 48:18]
- The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgment in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace. [Isaiah 59:8]
- Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes. [Romans 3:16-18]
- For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [Romans 8:6]
- Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. [Romans 15:13]
ACT IN WAYS THAT BRING OTHERS PEACE
- So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way. I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. Let not then your good be evil spoken of: For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. [Romans 14:12-21]
- And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? [James 2:16]
Salutations and Farewells with Peace
- Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. [1 Cor. 1:3 and 2 Cor. 1:2 and Gal. 1:3 and Eph. 1:2 and Phil 1:3]
- Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, [2 Peter 1:2]
- Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. [2 John 1:3]
- Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied. [Jude 1:2]
- Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. [2 Cor. 13:11]
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.