School is In – Let’s Talk About The Sermon on the Mount
STORY – Beatitudes (Matthew 5)
Hey there, I’m Pastor Fish.
(Hi, Pastor Fish!)
Ready for a little lesson? This one is in the Gospel
of Matthew. Jesus went to the top of the mountain to teach everyone. Then he said this: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(Well, if you’re all full of yourself, then you might say, “Who needs God?”)
Good job! Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
(Whenever you feel sad, Jesus will comfort you).
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
(Like Dorothy the meek and mild?)
(Yes, gentle and sweet.)
Good! Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
(How can you be hungry for that?
(It’s a feeling of wanting to live the way God teaches us to.)
(I don’t get it!)
That’s okay these are kind of hard. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
(Those are okay.)
Glad to hear it! Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. It’s a recipe for happiness, something to think about as you swim along. Okay, school’s out for now… see you next time!
SING ALONG: The Number Three Song
How I love the number 3,
Reminds me of how much God loves me.
Seen three ways, a Trinity:
Father, Son, and Ghost Holy.
Knock knock knock, let thoughts fly free…
Don’t stop asking till you see.
One: Yes, GOD is one…
Two: Jesus, walked with us,
And three… Holy Spirit to comfort me!
[free sheet music available online]
- Do you have questions about one or more of the Beatitudes? Which one is the most confusing? Which one makes the most sense?
- What is meekness? How do we keep our strength under control and not be seen as a wimpy kid?
- How can a young person be a peacemaker?
- How can a young person show mercy?
- Role Play [materials: n/a] Split into threes – two pretend to be fighting (but stick to these words). Be creative in your peacemaking. Get back together to discuss.
- GRR I am fighting you. Yes I am.
- Peace, my friends, let’s talk about this fight.
- Dovemaking [materials: cotton balls, glue, popsicle sticks] Glue some cotton balls on popsicle sticks to create a dove. What is your dove’s name?
- Visioning Peace [materials: crayons/paper] How do you see peace? Can you draw it? Or, you can draw a mountain, with Jesus teaching and people listening.
This educational page is for private non-commercial personal use or for non-profit, educational use within a Christian organization/ministry – only. Copyright © 2017 Elfenworks Productions, LLC. All rights reserved. For questions or commercial licensing, contact us.