School is In – Let’s Learn the Decalogue
Ten Commandments Story (Exodus 20)
Minnows: Hi, Pastor Fish!
Ready for a story? This one is in Exodus… Moses…
Minnows: The one who said to Pharoah “let my people go”?
Yes! Now, where was I? Moses went up the mountain and got instructions on how to behave. They’re called the 10 commandments. They go like this:
- I’m the Lord your God. Don’t worship other gods.
- Don’t make false idols.
- Do not misuse the name of the Lord your God
- Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
Class, what’s a false idol?
Minnows: um… a holy cow? (class gives ideas).
Anything can be a false idol if it’s put first, before God. But wait, there’s more:
- Honor your father and your mother.
- Don’t murder.
- Don’t commit adultery.
- Don’t steal.
- Don’t testify falsely against your neighbor.
- Don’t covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s spouse… basically anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Minnows: What’s “covet?”
That means desire, to really want to own something that belongs to someone else. Okay class, school’s out for now. See you next time.
- Review: We Always Review our “Golden Rule Rhyme.” Say together (substitute ‘Sunday school’ for something else such as ‘bible school’ where needed):
“As we gather in Sunday school, we will follow the Golden Rule.
To each other be kind and true , as we want to be treated too!”
- Doing and Being: We all fall short of perfection, but we can still try our best. God always loves us and reaches out to us, and is always our friend. Does following the commandments help us all get along?
- Optional: Create a fill-the-blanks 10 Commandments handout.
- Ten Commandments Rhyme Roll PlayAssign one person to be Pastor Fish, and another to be Chaplain Snail. Enjoy the following dialogue:
- Pastor Fish (PF): Here’s our friend Chaplain Snail with a 10 commandment rhyme for us. Chaplain Snail always talks in rhyme.
- Chaplain Snail (CS): All the time!
- PF: Chaplain Snail, what can you tell us about the 10 commandments?
- CS: Ten commandments, yes there are ten. I try to keep them ‘cause I’m God’s friend! Jesus summed them up in two: Love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as you.
- PF: The first one is One GOD; what about #2, no god before God?
- CS: Two horns on a holy cow, to false idols I won’t bow.
- PF: Okay, what about #3, Don’t take God’s name in vain?
- CS: Easy as 1 2 3, I keep God’s name holy, holy, holy.
- PF: Great… what about #4?
- CS: Observe the Sabbath? A day “4” rest, that’s what’s best.
- PF: Okay, what about #5, Honor dad and mom?
- CS: Mom & dad get a high five; it’s because of them & God I’m alive.
- PF: What about #6, Don’t kill!
- CS: Six is sticks… sticks and stones can break bones; leave killing alone.
- PF: Ok, what about #7, No adultery?
- CS: Seven, seven, love’s a match made in heaven: love is true, so be true, too.
- PF: Okay, what about #8 Don’t steal?
- CS: If you “8” off your neighbor’s plate, that aint great.
- PF: And #9, Don’t bear false witness?
- CS: Nine is malign… don’t hurt a neighbor with any lyin’.
- PF: Okay, what about the last one… Don’t covet what’s your neighbor’s.
- CS: You’re a ten, that’s good enough, don’t worry about your neighbor’s stuff.
This educational page is for private non-commercial personal use or for non-profit, educational use within a Christian organization/ministry – only. Copyright © 2017 Elfenworks Productions, LLC. All rights reserved. For questions or commercial licensing, contact us.