Fully half of this world’s population are women, and yet women are at a real disadvantage economically and socially in every country on earth, including the United States. Jesus saw fit to transcend the social mores of his day regarding women, and so can we. The world could use more fair minded men and more women in ministry. Below are links that provide support for women in ministry or that provide a female-friendly interpretation of the biblical view on women.
Christian Ministry Associations (non-denominational)
- Association for Women in Ministry Professionals – website states that this association began with the desire to “unite and network with other professional women passionately committed to serving God in ministry.”
- Christian Women Speakers Support – Stated goal of connecting leading speakers in Christian women’s ministry [church affiliation and date of salvation required to register].
- Ecumenical Women at the UN – website affirms a preferential option for the marginalized and advocates for gender equality at the United Nations
- Evangelical – Ecumenical and Evangelical Women’s Caucus – EEWC – an international organization of women and men who espouse equality. Inclusive Christian feminists from 1973.
- God’s Word to Women, a teaching ministry presenting the Biblical truth that men and women are equal in terms of substance and value, privilege and responsibility, function and authority in all areas of life, ministry, and marriage. Outreach includes GWTW College and the Int’l Christian Women’s Hall of Fame.
- International Association of Women Ministers (IAWM) – An association which states it promotes and encourages women in their call to ministry in Jesus.
- Real Men Marry Ministers (facebook)
- Resource Center for Women and Ministry in the South – This Center started in 1977 with a goal of supporting and connecting women in ministry. They have since expanded and now include a wide variety of programs on feminism, faith, creativity, spirituality, and justice. They “weave feminism and spirituality into a vision of justice for the world.”
- Right to the Heart of Women – ”Imagine what could happen in your life and ministry if you could find the support, encouragement and help you need?”
- WATER (Women’s Assn for Theology Ethics and Ritual) – “an international community of justice-seeking people who promote the use of feminist values to make religious and social change”
- Women in Ministry – “Developing, mentoring and resourcing vocational women ministers and women preparing for the ministry…”
- Young Women in Ministry – “Young Women in Ministry (YWIM) promotes fellowship and support for young women walking in various stages of their calls to ministry. We provide opportunities for emerging women ministers (lay or ordained) to sit at the feet of and glean pearls of wisdom from other experienced women preachers and from each other.”
Christian Ministry Associations (denominational)
- American Baptist – American Baptist Women’s Ministries – stated mission includes providing “vision, training, and resources to women and girls in American Baptist churches.” Stated vision is to foster vital women’s ministry programs in every American Baptist church, so that women and girls are empowered to “develop as God’s person, build God’s faith community, and serve God’s world.”
- Baptist – Women in Ministry (NC) – intends through its support for “Baptist women and men who are seeking to honor God’s call in Christ to women in all areas of mission and ministry, lay or ordained” with fellowship, worship, advocacy and education. It will also act as a conduit with local Baptists about women in mission and ministry, to increase understanding and awareness of this calling through dialog.
- Baptist – Virginia Baptist Women in Ministry – “an association of persons, both women and men, lay and professional, who perceive what they do as Christian Ministry, and who seek to provide an avenue for mutual support, encouragement and empowerment.”
- Catholic – Association for the Rights of Catholics in the Church a website advocating for all of God’s children, of any gender, age, social class, ethnic or national origin, lay, ordained, married, single, widowed, divorced—seeking fair treatment in a church of generosity and compassion.
- Catholic – Leadership Conference of Women Religious – brings together leaders of congregations of Catholic “women religious” in the United States
- Catholic – Mary’s Pence “empowering women for social justice… “
- Catholic Network for Women’s Equality – Invites you to join them in breaking the silence on women’s ordination.
- Catholic – Women’s Ordination Conference “a voice for women in the catholic church , working solely for the ordination of women as priests, deacons, and bishops into an inclusive and accountable Catholic Church”
- Church of the Brethren – Women’s Caucus – the home for women’s concerns in the Church of the Bretheren
- Episcopal Church – Women’s Ministries – “working for gender justice in the Church & The world.”
- Evangelical -United Women in Ministry (Victory Outreach) – “United Women In Ministry (within ‘victory outreach’) exists to uphold, encourage, and challenge Victory Outreach International women in their daily walk as disciples of Jesus Christ. The mission of United Women In Ministry is, in the larger sense, common to all Christians — that of uplifting Christ in the church and in the world.”
- Evangelical – Network of Evangelical Women in Ministry – “Where a woman goes to be encouraged! The Network of Evangelical Women in Ministry (NEWIM) is designed to serve women who minister to others, strengthening them in their walk with God by providing opportunities for spiritual renewal, encouragement and networking.”
- HerChurch SF – a feminist/womanist and avowedly Lutheran church in San Francisco
- Lutheran – Women in Ministry (Wisconsin) “Motivated solely by the gospel, WELS Women’s Ministry exists to assist our congregations in nurturing, encouraging and equipping women to faithfully and fully use their God-given gifts to glorify God.”
- Mormon Women’s Forum – encourages open and honest discussion among people with diverse opinions and promotes gender equity and social justice in context…
- Presbyterian women’s page – Presbyterian “all women in the church” page, which includes a Women of Faith award. See also the Presbyterian Church of Canada – Women in Ministry.
- United Church of Christ – Coordinating Center for Women – This webpage states that the UCC celebrates and cherishes women and works to be advocates on behalf of women of all ages, ordained or not. this page includes a women’s endowment fund for leadership development, a woman to woman worldwide service project, a ‘finding voice’ project, and other resources. (United Church of Christ Women’s page)
- Women-church Convergence W-CC – Websites states this is a coalition of autonomous Catholic-rooted organizations/groups raising a feminist voice and committed to an ekklesia of women which is participative, egalitarian and self-governing.
Research and Leadership Centers
- Center for Women and Religion at GTU – Berkeley CA “fostering research and scholarly exchange on women and religion
- Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry – Women in Ministry Articles.
- Womanist scholars program at the Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC) in Atlanta, Georgia… “provides affirming, creative, intellectual opportunity for Womanist scholars to engage in scholarship that will impact the academy, church and community”
- Women’s Leadership Institute at Hartford Seminary – applied spirituality
- Women’s Theological Center – Boston MA – part of the theological union in Boston
- *center shut down !* Women’s Research Institute at Brigham Young *center shut down !*
Women of Color, Subgroups within Women’s Ministry
- National consortium of Black Women in Ministry “the leading professional organization for Black Women in Ministry”
- National Black Sister’s Conference
Women’s support, general
- National Women’s Law Center http://www.nwlc.org/ “expanding the possibilities.”
A Few Favorite Quotes
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. – Galatians 3:28
The aged women likewise, that [they be] in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; – Titus 2:3-5
And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.
– Judges 4:4-5
So God created man in God’s own image, in the image of God… male and female God created them. – Genesis 1:27