Dis·cord /diskôrd/ – Noun: a combination that is antagonistic and displeasing, confused or harsh.
Although discord is unpleasant, it is sometimes necessary. This is never more true than when it disturbs a false peace or an unjust status quo. Jesus may have recognized this disruptive influence when He said that He came to bring not peace but a sword. However, the Bible is clear that the Lord does not look with favor on the discord that we, ourselves, generate.
Select Bible Passages on Discord
- Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. – Matthew 10:34
- These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, an heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. – Proverbs 6:16-19
- But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you… – Luke 6:27
- But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. – Matthew 5:39
- Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. – Mark 10:19
- If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. – Romans 12:18
- But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. – Galatians 5:15
- Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. – Galatians 5:26
See also>WebDefs on related topics, including Harmony, Strife, and Peace and etcetera.
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered (where applicable) in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.