Wis·dom /wizdəm/ – Noun: The nature of having true understanding and discernment.
The Bible is replete with wisdom. Some have mused that its letters could stand for Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. That said, The Bible isn't always easy to crack open.
Jesus summed up wisdom like this: "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat – for straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few find it." – Matthew 7:13-14
Select Biblical Proverbs on Wisdom
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. – Prov. 1:7
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge God, and God will direct your paths. – Prov 3:5-6
- The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools. – Prov 3:35
- Get wisdom, get understanding: forget not; neither decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee. – Prov 4:5-7
- My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil. – Prov 4:20-27
- For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life – Prov 6:23
- Wisdom hath built her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars. – Prov 9:1
- It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom. Prov 9:23
- Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom. – Prov 13:10
- Wise teaching is a fountain of life, turning us from death's snares – Prov 13:14
- Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. – Prov 14:1
- A wise person feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident. – Prov 14:16
- In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death. – Prov 14:26-7
- The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge. – Prov 18:15
- Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge. – Prov 23:12
Proverb 8 – Entirely on Wisdom
- Doth not wisdom cry, and understanding put forth her voice? She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths. She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors. Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the children of humanity. O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart. Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things. For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them. They are all plain to them that understand, and right to them that find knowledge. Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions. The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength. By me kings reign, and princes decree justice. By me, princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth. I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me. Riches and honor are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver. I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment: That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures. The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: When God gave to the sea the decree that the waters should not pass God's commandment: when God appointed the foundations of the earth: Then I was by, as one brought up with God: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before God; Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the children of humanity. Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the one who heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favor of the Lord. But those who sin against me wrong their own souls: all they that hate me love death.
Echoing St. Paul's prayer in Philippians 1:9-10, our prayer for you regarding wisdom is this: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and in judgment, that you may prove discerning and blameless until the day of Christ. Amen !
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered (where applicable) in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.