Non·har·ming /nän'härm'iNG/ – Adj: Quality of sensitivity to harm prevention; commitment to promoting wholeness and healing through word, thought, and deed.
As used at NHM Ministrants, nonharming goes beyond not causing damage or inflicting injury. It is an active stance, describing those people and ministries who are especially sensitive to harm prevention, seeking instead to bring wholeness and healing. There are many ways to focus on nonharming. One might express radical solidarity with the last and least, the easily marginalized or forgotten. Following Jesus' example, one might seek to bring wholeness and healing, avoiding violence in word, attitude, or action. One might also work to rectify the structural injustices that underlie in the violence of poverty and inequality and that harm the planet we are admonished to shepherd.
Top Ten Bible References Related to Nonharming
- Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.(Matthew 5:5)
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. (Matthew 5:7)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God (Matthew 5:9)
- Seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)
- It's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth (Matthew 15:11)
- Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you… (Matt. 5:38-48)
- But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. (Luke 6:35)
- Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering. (Colossians 3:12)
- As each hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. (1 Peter 4:10)
- Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil… (Exodus 23:2.)
What are WebDefs?
WebDefs – simple definitions of key terms relating to ministry and healing arts – are a regular feature of NHM Ministrants. Offered (where applicable) in conjunction with select key scriptural passages and analysis, WebDefs can be a useful starting place for exploring a topic of interest.